Our client, Birmingham Water Works (BWW), is seeking a Comptroller.
BWW serves more than 600,000 residents as the major water supplier for the City of Birmingham and many cities and municipalities in the greater Jefferson County area. BWWB is a non-profit, public utility that generates operational expenses for water sales, while investing in system improvements, maintenance, and administration with any excess revenues. The Comptroller reports directly to the Assistant General Manager, Finance and Administration and is responsible for designing policies, procedures and systems to ensure that risk is managed, regulatory oversight responsibilities are complied with, financial goals are established, and budgets are met.
Major duties of the Comptroller
The Comptroller is responsible for ensuring the operation of the BWW’s system remains in compliance with bid laws and other regulations and for the accuracy of financial information. Some of the other duties of the Comptroller:
- Ensures the organization establishes and maintains a strong system of internal accounting controls, including policies and procedures to minimize errors, and ensures the accuracy of all financial data.
- Improves communications and efficiency through review of current policies and procedures and implementation of any changes needed.
- Ensures the organization has an Accounting Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Monitors and reviews the annual budget process to ensure the financial goals of BWW are achieved and deadlines are met.
- Oversees cost of service studies (determination of water rates) and other miscellaneous rate determination studies.
- Reviews revenue, debt service, and cash flow projections.
- Oversees the annual audit engagements with independent certified accounting firms. This includes a full overview of actuarial reports for the Pension & Other Post-Employment Benefits (OPEB) audits, workers’ compensation audit, the financial statements audit, and the SSAE 16 engagement.
- Oversees the annual physical count of BWW construction and maintenance supplies inventory.
- Presents monthly budget variances to executive management.
- Prepares the cost benefit analysis on systems under consideration for acquisition by BWW.
Minimum qualifications for the Comptroller position
The selected candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related subject. An advanced degree is preferred. The ideal candidate will possess at least ten (10) years of progressive experience in accounting with at least eight years in a leadership level position in accounting. SAP or other Enterprise Resource Planning System (ERP System) experience and knowledge and experience in finance and budget operations is required. Knowledge of GAAP, as well as Governmental Accounting Standards (GAS) and Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) and experience in understanding purchasing department operations and familiarity with Alabama State Bid Laws is necessary. Understanding Materials Management, including inventory Management and Physical Inventory and experience documenting business processes and procedures that provide the internal control framework to record, compile and report on the results of operations in all areas of the organization to enable and facilitate management decision making is required. Utility experience is preferred. An active CPA license is required.
For immediate consideration, please submit your resume and a cover letter detailing your relevant experience to: BWW_Comptroller@polihire.com. To assist with internal sorting, please only include your name (Last, First) in the subject line. Please submit your resume in WORD format.