Chief Financial Officer
DC Retirement Board
The District of Columbia Retirement Board (DCRB) is seeking a Chief Financial Officer (CFO). DCRB is an independent agency of the District of Columbia Government. Their mission is to manage and control the assets (totaling approximately $9 billion) of the DC Police Officers’ and Firefighters’ Retirement Fund and the DC Teachers’ Retirement Fund (collectively referred to as the Fund) as well as to administer benefits for the members of the DC Police Officers’ and Firefighters’ Retirement Plan and the DC Teachers’ Retirement Plan (the Plans).
The CFO is responsible for the supervision and oversight of the Agency’s financial activities and works closely with the Executive Director to set the tone for management and staff to foster ethical and responsible decision-making, professional and appropriate management, and best-in-class financial governance practices. The CFO is also responsible for financial reporting, developing the financial plans, and identifying the Agency’s financial liability.
Some of the other duties and responsibilities include:
- Providing operational oversight and direction with regard to financial management and procurement in accordance with the established goals, objectives and policies of the Agency. Managing all accounting transactions that can affect the assets of the plan including, but not limited to, the reconciliation between the US Department of the Treasury and DCRB regarding benefit payments and liabilities
- Providing the financial leadership necessary to maintain the Agency’s accounting records and financial statements in accordance with accounting principles generally accepted in the US. Staying current on FASB, GASB and regulatory issues and requirements to ensure that DCRB adheres to all relevant accounting requirements. Coordinating with the Agency’s auditors to produce audited financial statements on a timely basis
- Serving as the Agency’s Budget Officer and coordinating the preparation and implementation of DCRBs annual budget
- Forecasting the Agency’s cash flows and coordinating with the Chief Investment Officer to manage the liquidity and availability of cash for operational needs
- Coordinating the financial systems with the technology requirements and infrastructure of the Agency. Interfacing with the US Department of the Treasury and the District of Columbia government on Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS) system to ensure compatibility of software and compliance with security protocols
- Functioning as the liaison with DCRBs actuary to determine the appropriate contributions to the plans are made by the District government. Identifying emerging trends in Fund costs and ensuring the disclosures in the actuarial valuations are compliant with GASB requirements
- Overseeing the preparation and delivery of the Agency’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
The selected candidate should possess strong knowledge of GAAP (FASB and GASB) and the accounting regulatory environment. The ability to rapidly learn new systems and the skill to examine operations and procedures, formulate policy, and develop and implement new strategies is required. The ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports in accordance with DCRB, and industry standards, and the ability to evaluate and implement sound financial and operations internal controls is needed.
The ideal applicant will have a Bachelor’s degree and an advanced degree. A CPA certification (or equivalent) or MBA is required. Five years of public accounting and ten years of experience with responsibility for accounting and budgeting with experience interacting with multiple governmental agencies is desired. Public pension plan experience is preferred. Experience in the oversight of major systems development and implementation is also desirable.
The selected candidate’s base pay will fall within this range, based on qualifications and experience. The salary band for this position is $131,235 to $235,214.
For immediate consideration, please forward a cover letter outlining your relevant experience, and resume to: DCRB_CFO@polihire.com. To assist with internal sorting, please only include your name (Last, First) in the subject line.
To apply for this job email your details to DCRB_CFO@polihire.com